Thursday, January 3, 2019

Know

I learnt to celebrate life
But never grieve its loss.
I knew how to love you
But never to leave you.

I knew how to plant and water and care
But I didn’t know what to do with the flowers
When they just sat there, limp.

I knew when your tummy ached
But not when your heart
I knew how to use my arms around you
But they just hang there lifelessly
When we’re apart.

I knew to just call out your name
To have you come to my side
And now when do
You just never show
I don’t know where you hide.

Even when all you did was coo
I knew you were calling the birds
Yet once you grew,
It pains me to think
I didn’t know your words.

I knew to chill an extra few beers
When you came home
Tired to the bone
I knew how to chill those few extra beers
But never to drink them alone.

I knew how to grovel
To say sorry and bring you back to bed.

But it doesn’t matter what I know anymore
I don’t know
How to bring you back from the dead.

I learnt to celebrate life
But never grieve its loss.
Maybe I never really knew how to love you
But I hope I learn
To leave you.




No comments:

Post a Comment